Fragrance reviews are silly, but sometimes, fragrance marketing is even sillier. What do “playful past times” and “nostalgia” really smell like? So from now on, we’ll be crowdsourcing our own fragrance reviews. Read on to find out what our office thought about the latest sample to land on our desk. This week, we’re sniffing Balenciaga‘s Florabotanica.
What Balenciaga thinks it smells like: “Florabotanica is an experimental rose fragrance whose story takes place in a strange and wonderful garden in which you don’t know whether the flowers are innocent or poisonous.”
What we think it smells like:
- “It’s a really nice subtle and not overly sweet floral scent. This actually smells like fresh cut flowers.”
- “Like the inside of a Lush store with all of the competing soap smells. But pleasant.”
- “Spicy. Like hospital astringent.”
- “Like you spilled an entire bottle of your mom’s oldest, grossest perfume.”
- “Like a doll I used to have.”
- “My mom.”
- “Floral. But a strong floral. Not too overwhelming, though.”
- “Not sure, but I like the subtlety.”
- “Pleasant. Professional. Workplace perfume. Although maybe that’s just because we’re in the office.”
- “Baby powder.”
- “Like a nice spring day outside.”
Check out our previous Name That Scent stories.