Fragrance reviews are silly, but sometimes, fragrance marketing is even sillier. What do “playful pastimes” and “nostalgia” really smell like? So from now on, we’ll be crowdsourcing our own fragrance reviews. Read on to find out what our office thought about the latest sample to land on our desk. This week, we’re sniffing Calvin Klein‘s Encounter.
Fragrance: Calvin Klein Encounter, $58-72.
What Calvin Klein thinks it smells like: “Encounter Calvin Klein redefines modern, unapologetic masculinity. A distinctive sensual woody fragrance, Encounter combines an addictive blend of freshness, warm cognac and sensual woods.”
What we think it smells like:
- “It has a weird spiciness to it. Kind of Christmas-y. But ’80s Christmas.”
- “What I imagine the set of Brad Pitt‘s Chanel ads to have smelled like.”
- “Licorice. The kind that makes you sick.”
- “Cinnamon. Anise or Absinthe. I might mix with gin.”
- “Cologne and strange spices.”
- “Nice. Chistmas-y, formal, long dress, high heels, a little bit of ankle.”
- “A little Axe-iness to it. A little pine tree.”
- “Whoever’s wearing this is not messing around. It’s like an uppercut to the nostrils. A bejeweled uppercut though, because whoever’s wearing this has some kind of dangly bracelet on.”
- “My grandmother’s old bathsoap. Spicy Johnson & Johnson.”
- “Potpourri. Grandmother-y.”
- “A feminine Axe.”
Check out our previous Name That Scent stories.