Fragrance reviews are silly, but sometimes, fragrance marketing is even sillier. What do “playful pastimes” and “nostalgia” really smell like? So from now on, we’ll be crowdsourcing our own fragrance reviews. Read on to find out what our office thought about the latest sample to land on our desk. This week, we’re testing out Calvin Klein’s CK One Summer.
Fragrance: CK One Summer 2013 by Calvin Klein, $50.
What Calvin Klein thinks it smells like: “Refreshing. Crisp. Cool. Bright top notes of zesty citrus and splashing waterfall give an immediate freshness. Watermelon and crushed leaves are cooling and transition into the watery, green aromas of cucumber and water lily as the middle notes. As the scent dries down, caraway seeds add a hint of aromatic sensuality, while clean woody notes of musk and moss have a sexy, skin-like warmth.”
What we think it smells like:
- “A lemon Luna bar.”
- “Freshly cut grass.”
- “A public pool locker room.”
- “Springy. Clean. Professional.”
- “A really nice laundry detergent. I like it!”
- “The first day of summer vacation.”
- “What you’d imagine the cute young nanny in movies to smell like.”
- “A bathroom air freshener.”
- “Floral but kind of oily.”
- “Floral candy.”
- “A less overwhelming version of the Body Shop Satsuma line.”
Check out our previous Name That Scent stories, and watch the video below for more on Calvin Klein’s fragrances:
this is some kind of spaceship or something.