Name That Scent: What Does Dolce & Gabbana’s New Scent Smell Like?
Fragrance reviews are silly. Fragrance marketing is even sillier. So from now on, we’ll be crowdsourcing our fragrance reviews. Read on to find out what our office thought about the latest sample to land on our desk.
Fragrance: Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Dreaming in Portofino, $89
What Dolce & Gabbana thinks it smells like: “Redolent of the Mediterranean, and conjuring up idle days spent relaxing on a summer voyage, the new Light Blue fragrance bursts with an absolute feeling of summer. Drawing upon elements of each stunning location, the scents arouse a feeling of escapism and true sensorial delight taking you back to moments of unforgettable intimacy and romance. Top notes of sun-kissed litchi and musky ambrette seed sensuously meld into rich floral tones of creamy iris and heady osmanthus. Resinous amber and woody patchouli linger, leaving behind a trace of delicate velvet aroma, imprinting n intoxicating memory of golden moments spent in timeless contemplation.”
What we think it smells like:
- “Like scented paper in a stationery store.”
- “Generic CVS pharmacy smell.”
- “From across the room, it smells like an 8th grade locker at my all-girls Catholic school.”
- “I can’t tell if it’s men’s or women’s.”
- “I think it’s very clean.”
- “Smells a little bit like gummy bears to me.”
- “Kind of like honeysuckle.”
- “It has a fruity aura.”
- “Light blue — the color.”
- “It’s an inoffensive scent, like if you had to buy someone a scent as a present, this would be it.”
- “A scented candle. It almost smells waxy.”
- “Like the fountain at a mall.”
Tune in next time when we review Serge Lutens L’Eau Froide, a “polar, neutral, colder” scent.
PREVIOUSLY: Thirdman Eau Profonde, Valentino Valentina, Dolce & Gabbana The One Sport, Eva Longoria EVAmour, Lacoste L12.12. Rouge, Versace Yellow Diamond, Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, Especially Escada, Arquiste Infanta en Flor, Bulgari Omnia Coral, Illuminum White Gardenia Petals, Serge Normant Avah