Fragrance reviews are silly, but sometimes, fragrance marketing is even sillier. What do “playful pastimes” and “nostalgia” really smell like? So from now on, we’ll be crowdsourcing our own fragrance reviews. Read on to find out what our office thought about the latest sample to land on our desk. This week, we’re sniffing Mariah Carey Dreams.
Fragrance: Mariah Carey Dreams, $39-49.
What Mariah thinks it smells like: “Mariah Carey Dreams is a sensual floral gourmand that delicately weaves together notes, each one symbolic of Mariah’s lifelong journey. Dreams is an inviting scent that is almost magnetic in its essence. At the top of the fragrance salted caramel apple and star anise combine with bergamot and toasted almonds for an unforgettable scent. In the middle, a sensual hint of honeysuckle intertwines with alluring freesia and a delicate undertone of lily of the valley, creating a feminine middle. At the base, a blend of warm patchouli, Tonka bean and Madagascar vanilla grounds the scent with a subtle, alluring aroma.”
What we think it smells like:
- “Like someone tried to synthesize a berry pie.”
- “At first it’s like Australian Gold tanning lotion, but then it fades into something I actually want to wear.”
- “Bath & Body Works vanilla.”
- “Pie filling.”
- “Floral, youthful, festive, summery.”
- “Flowery, soapy, and sweet.”
- “Floral pink bubblegum.”
- “Like when they make a toy scented. Like a minor character in Strawberry Shortcake.”
- “The sum total of a magazine full of fragrance inserts.”
- “The entire cosmetics and fragrance section in a mall.”
- “Like someone liquified Macy’s.”
- “A bakery.”
- “Sundresses and summertime.”
Check out our previous Name That Scent stories.