Fragrance reviews are silly, but sometimes, fragrance marketing is even sillier. What do “playful pastimes” and “nostalgia” really smell like? So from now on, we’ll be crowdsourcing our own fragrance reviews. Read on to find out what our office thought about the latest sample to land on our desk. This week, in honor of all the weddings that we think are about the crop up, we’re testing out ETERNITY Summer by Calvin Klein.
Fragrance: ETERNITY Summer by Calvin Klein, $62
What Calvin Klein thinks it smells like: Captures the natural beauty of seashells glistening in the sand on a warm summer day. The fragrance opens with a gentle seabreeze freshness, a heart of wisteria and a soft, dry down of white amber. Top notes: seabreeze, aquatic accord, sparkling bergamot. Mid notes: wisteria, living cotton flower, osmanthus. Dry notes: musk, white amber, sandalwood.
What we think it smells like:
- “Baby powder mixed with bubble bath.”
- “Those things you put in your sock drawer, lavender bags.”
- “Like a Limited Too.”
- “Like Estée Lauder White Linen, which is what my mom used to wear.”
- “Like the boy’s conditioner that’s in my shower.”
- “Maybe I’m just really excited about feminism right now, but it smells really floral and nice but masculine and powerful at the same time. Like it’s a Leslie Knope perfume, or Wendy Davis if you wanna get more topical.”
- “Lotion. Like ‘aw, I need to moisturize.'”
- “A little spicy, and also it kinda reminds me of grass.”
- “Just like one of those smells.”
- “There’s a floral scent to it, obviously, but cut with that grease-remover you use on your stovetop.”
- “Aloe-vera hand sanitizer.”
- “Potpourri, but in an office environment.”
- “Floral estrogen scent.”
- “That carpet cleaner that comes in a canister and you vacuum it up.”
- “Way flowery.”
- “Dreams borrowed and deferred.”
- “Either beach spray for my hair, or the actual beach.”
Not a scent you want to spend forever with? See all of our Name That Scent reviews right here:
this is some kind of spaceship or something.