Fragrance reviews are silly, but sometimes, fragrance marketing is even sillier. What do “playful pastimes” and “nostalgia” really smell like? So from now on, we’ll be crowdsourcing our own fragrance reviews. Read on to find out what our office thought about the latest sample to land on our desk. This week, we’re testing out Prada Infusion d’Iris.
Fragrance: Prada Infusion d’Iris, $82
What Prada thinks it smells like: “Infusion d’Iris is inpsired by a search for balance and harmony in a chaotic and contradictory world. A blend of Orange Blossom, Mandarin, Iris, Galbanum and Lentisc, Benzoin and Incense, Vetiver and Cedarwood evokes an ultra-feminine experience.”
What we think it smells like:
- “That kind of perfume that you would see in one of the old-fashioned squeeze bottles. Like an old 1950s model. It’s what I imagine Marilyn Monroe would smell like.”
- “Baby powder — like country club powder room but I mean actual powder.”
- “A really nice department store bathroom, but the kind with fresh-cut flowers and classy little old ladies.”
- “Johnson’s baby oil. Like I just washed a baby.”
- “Lilies — the white ones.”
- “A garden party.
- “Bathroom cleaner.”
- “A little bit baby powdery, but not in an oppressive kind of way.”
- “Not like a perfume, like an air freshener.”
- “A dressing room at Macy’s.”
- “Like disinfectant.”
- “Like Suave body wash; that cheap version of clean.”
- “Like the hospital room where they keep the babies.”
- “Talcum powder.”
- “Oh yeah!”
- “Like some flowery liqueur, maybe served after dinner at an Italian grandmother’s house.”
Watch some Prada runway videos below for fun, and check out the rest of our fragrance reviews right here.