Don’t worry if you’re not a fan of eyeliner, perfect eyeshadow can serve to define the eyes as well! The best is to use three tones – highlight, mid, and defining color. This method applies whether you’re using neutral, cream, taupe, and brown for a natural daytime look or a more dramatic combination of pale lilac, plum and amethyst for nighttime glamour.
- Make sure brows are well tweezed, as any hairs on the eyelid will trap the eyeshadow and make blending difficult.
- Prep the eyes and create a neutral base. Using a firm synthetic brush or your fingertip, dot a little foundation or concealer over the eyelid and blend it to the browbone. This will camouflage any blue or red undertones and create a smooth surface. If you’re using powder eyeshadow, lightly dust the eyelid with translucent powder to absorb any surface oils and ensure smooth blending.
- Load a medium sized natural hair brush with the mid color and tap off any excess. Starting at the outer corner of the eyelid, blend the shadow all over the eyelid from the lash line to the socket creating a semicircle of color.
- Use a smaller, rounder brush to add a little of the deeper defining color in the hollow of the socket, blending it to the outer corner of the eye and blurring the edges for a soft, smoldering effect. Build up color gradually to the desired intensity.
- Use a small blending brush to sweep highlighter over the arch of the browbone.
- Using a small pointed brush, define the upper lash line with the darker shadow, working the color between the roots of the lashes.
- Define the upper and lower lashes with mascara.
Jemma Kidd is a world-renowned makeup artist who has painted the faces of Naomi Campbell and Jerry Hall, and now she’s here to solve all of your beauty dilemmas. Not only does she have two makeup lines of her own — Jemma Kidd Make Up School and JK Jemma Kidd — she’s also worked with Max Factor, Rimmel, and Stila. Yes, she’s a total beauty guru. Have a question for Jemma? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
PREVIOUSLY: Build The Perfect Makeup Bag, Fashion Week Makeup, Fall Makeup Trends, Grooming Products To Borrow From The Boys, How To Get Perfect Brows, At-Home Beauty Swaps, Beach-Appropriate Makeup, How To Hide A Hangover, First Date Makeup, When To Splurge, Black Tie Makeup, When To Ditch Old Products, Prom Makeup, Spring Beauty Trends, How To Get Rid Of Shiny Skin, How To Hide Your Flaws, Travel Beauty Tips, A Complete Guide to Eyeliner, How To Survive A Humid Summer, Wedding Makeup, Highlighting & Contouring