Name That Scent: Reb’l Fleur Smells Like ‘If Katy Perry Ran A Hollister’
Fragrance reviews are silly, but sometimes, fragrance marketing is even sillier. What do “playful pastimes” and “nostalgia” really smell like? So from now on, we’ll be crowdsourcing our own fragrance reviews. Read on to find out what our office thought about the latest sample to land on our desk. This week, we’re sniffing Rihanna‘s Reb’l Fleur.
Fragrance: Rihanna’s Reb’l Fleur, $49-59.
What Rihanna thinks it smells like: “Daring, sexy and truly memorable, Reb’l Fleur is the first fragrance from Rihanna. Plump fruits, red berries, plum and juicy, ripe peaches, make a delicious first impression, while sumptuous florals and warm base notes create an impression that is defiantly sexy.”
What we think it smells like:
- “An assault. Unpleasantly sweet and just generically perfume-y.”
- “Too sweet and too overpowering. Like what high schoolers put on after the gym.”
- “Like if Katy Perry ran a Hollister.”
- “A rebellious-but-not-too-rebellious teenager.”
- “Strawberry alcohol. Like the candy carnival from hell.”
- “Spicy, orange, holiday.”
- “Cotton candy. This is a sweeter-than-average generic perfume. I can’t imagine anyone over the age of 15 wearing this.”
- “Cotton candy.”
- “Like the icing on a child’s birthday cake tastes.”
- “Air freshener.”
- “Spicy and earthly, but also sharp.”
- “Fruity. Right on the verge of being overstated, not gonna want to go too heavy with this.”
- “LAVENDER CANDLES. All caps.”
Check out our previous Name That Scent stories.