Michelle Obama will honor Anna Wintour at the ribbon cutting for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s new fashion wing, The Anna Wintour Costume Center. Their constellations have visibly crossed before: Wintour has been an active fundraiser for the Obama campaign, and she has featured the FLOTUS on two Vogue covers. Both are influential in different ways: Anna’s the EIC of the free world, and Michelle Obama’s had great public and private sector success, plus her partner is the most powerful man in the world. To serve as conversation starters the morning of the Met gala, here are some of the things the two have in common.
1. They are both political activists. Michelle traveled to Africa to focus on education and health. Anna Wintour fought to keep the clubby Serge Becker spot Miss Lily’s from destroying the West Village with the wrong crowd at a community board meeting.
2. They’ve both made contributions to their schools. Michelle graduated magna cum laude with a sociology degree from Princeton. At the North London Collegiate School, Anna challenged the dress code by shortening the hemlines of her skirts.
3. They’re both committed to health. Michelle launched the national campaign, “Let’s Move!,” to fight childhood obesity. Anna told a photographer with a belly that he needed to get to the gym in The September Issue.
4. Michelle’s Secret Service codename is “Renaissance.” Anna Wintour’s codename at the office is probably “Apocalypse.”
5. They both disapprove of fur. Well, Michelle’s anti, and when Anna wears it all the time, it’s supposed to be in protest.
6. They both play tennis. They could play a match together, but Anna’s arms would be too intimidating.
Anna Wintour Sits Second Row, Triggers Fashion Industry Paradigm Shift
Giorgio Armani Slams Anna Wintour for Missing His Show
Bougie Conservative Michelle Malkin Calls Out Michelle Obama for Wearing a Nice Dress to State Dinner