Of all of the fashion kingdom’s most prevalent themes, smoke makes plenty of guest appearances. We’re not promoting smoking. Nope, we’re not talking about people vaping because they’re stressed out at fashion weekend who piss off Smokey the Bear. (Okay, they make an appearance in the name of ethical responsibility.) But we’re really interested in the smoke machines, smoky eyes, smoky fabrics, and smoking jackets. With just one blow, smoke communicates rebellion. As a result of all this smokiness, you should know your smokes. Here are the 9 most fashionable smokes. Don’t smoke.
1. Magical smoke: Rick Owens sent smoke billowing from smoke machines for his Fall 2013 show.
2. The smoke in Phillip Lim’s show in 2013 made it hard to see the clothes, and people screamed “Stop the smoke!”
3. These models actually lit up on the runway. (Don’t worry, those sticks are probably packed with kale.)
4. The smoky eye isn’t going anywhere. There’s a neutral smoky eye, smudgy smoky eye, shimmery smoky eye, and a gray smoky eye.
5. Chloé’s Smoking silk-chiffon scarf
6. The YSL 1966 Le Smoking jacket is a classic no one is letting go of for good reason.
7. Models smoking has its own Tumblr tag. Here’s Lara Stone.
8. Fashion icon Audrey Hepburn smokes up in every college girl’s dorm room.
9. Carine Roitfeld vowed never to publish a photo featuring smoking in French Vogue. She lasted one year.
10. All Donatella Versace (Maya Rudolph) wanted to do on Saturday Night Live was smoke and look good.