Cosmopolitan.com recently posted an article called “16 Reasons College Was Not the Best Years of Your Life” and it makes some fair points. But come on: college is awesome. Just looking at their 16 reasons, it’s pretty easy to find a silver lining in each one. So here’s our interpretation of their 16 reasons—that prove college actually was the best.
1. Mo’ money mo’ problems. Cosmo complains that in college “You had no money. Ever.” But making money wasn’t the most important part of your life back then, and even if you had to work two jobs to put yourself through school, at least you had purpose.
2. People made food for you. Maybe the school cafeteria didn’t have the best food, but at least you didn’t have to make your own meals all the time.
3. There was always a party to go to. Sure, that meant you were always hungover, but at least you were making memories.
4. You’re schedule was crazy, but no one depended on you. If you miss work, you might screw a lot of people over. If you miss class, though, you’re the only one who’s going to be affected.
5. Little room = little cleaning.
6. Textbooks. Not only were you forced to make time for reading (a task adulthood often makes tricky) you also got a mini workout every time you had to carry heavy books around campus.
7. You could still depend on your parents. Asking you parents for money when you’re an adult? Awkward, embarrassing, probably not even an option. Asking for money during college? It was practically expected.
8. You had so many opportunities. Your first real job or internship out of college can largely define your entire career. But when you’re in college, you can still fantasize about being a vet or a firefighter.
9. You were unpretentious. You can’t tell the difference between wine that costs $7 and $20. But you still feel like you have to bring the nice stuff when your friends host a dinner party. It’s like flushing money down the toilet.
10. No one was trying to prove anything. You don’t need to be at a fancy bar with $25 cocktails and artsy light fixtures to have a good time.
11. You got to hang out with your friends all the time. It’s likely you still have roommates, but you probably met them on Craigslist. But in college, you and your best buddies could all live together and with similar schedules, you could have a 24/7 party all the time.
12. Campus security wasn’t that bad. Having your party broken up by campus security is a lot better than getting shut down by the cops
13. You walked everywhere. Depending on where you went to school, you didn’t have to worry about designated drivers. Also, walking is good for you.
14. You had two homes. You own a lot of shit, and it’s nice not to have to cram all that shit in one tiny apartment.
15. It was socially acceptable to wear sweatpants all the time. ‘Nuff said.
16. You didn’t work from 9 to 5. Sure, you had some early classes, but there was always time for a nap.