Quotes of the Week: Tyra Needs ‘Some Ass’, Miley Not A ‘Ratchet White Girl’
The fashion industry isn’t for the faint of heart, and if there’s one thing we’ve come to expect, it’s a ceaseless stream of quotables that will either make us chortle, gawk, or in some rare cases spit-take our Starbucks (we can usually thank Karl Lagerfeld for that). See who said what to get our Twitter feeds humming this week:
“To me, it’s like, I lost weight a couple of years ago and that just changed the way I ate, it changed the way I thought. I actually got too thin because I have tunnel vision. So when they said this is what you have to do, I was too strict, and I realized I needed to cheat way more because it didn’t look good. I didn’t realize I was too thin until I started seeing pictures and I thought, ‘Oh, I don’t like that. That doesn’t look good.’ I need some ass.”
2. In an excerpt from his latest book, The Asylum: A Collage of Couture Reminiscences…and Hysteria, Simon Doonan sounded off on Stanley Tucci’s Nigel from The Devil Wears Prada.
“Was there a pansy alive who had not read for this part? The whole audition charade was nothing more than a carefully orchestrated piece of unpaid research. We gays had been dragged in to swish it up — on camera no less — for the delectation of some precast, overpaid straight actor. This thespian would then create his characterization based on our uncompensated-for mincings. These dark suspicions were confirmed when the movie began lensing, just days after, with Stanley Tucci playing the part of Nigel.”
3. When Kendall and Kylie Jenner were asked by Fashionista if they thought their venture into fashion design was comparable to that of The Olsen Twins and The Row, they replied as follows:
Kendall: Yeah, I don’t know! Yeah, that’s funny. I never thought of that.
Kylie (distracted and texting): Never though of what?
Kendall: The Row. We could be the new The Row, you know, Mary-Kate and Ashley?
Oh, and Kylie digs Kanye West as part of the Kardashian clan:
“He’s such a creative person and he’s really cool and it’s like very cool to have him in the family now.”
4. Miley Cyrus told Notion Magazine why people are wrong about her:
“People have this misconception of me that I’m just one of these kids on TV and that now I go off and party and I’m just this ratchet white girl, and I’m not.”
And then perplexed us by starring in this accompanying spread.
5. Harper’s BAZAAR cover girl Sarah Jessica Parker told the magazine that she didn’t make a penny during her Halston stint explaining she “really did work for free. She also looked really amazing in the images lensed by Terry Richardson.
6. Robyn Lawley told the blog Hunger that she believes designers are to blame for the industry’s emphasis on bone-thin physiques:
“I think the industry is making such a distinction because it is so rare for any girls over a size 4 to be featured anywhere within the media. I actually hold designers more accountable as they have the real power to change sample sizing. It aggravates me that almost every designer campaign uses an unrealistic frame.”
7. Inside Vogue UK, cover star Daria Werbowy revealed she wants to champion for women’s rights:
There’s always been a feminist in me. I’ve always wanted to be a supporter of women, and break the gender roles of what a woman can be.
10 Karl-Isms We’d Like To See In The Upcoming Book Of Kaiser Kwotes
It’s Robin Givhan’s World, We Just Quote It: 10 Critiques Worth Revisiting
The Six Most Sobering Quotes In Galliano’s First-Ever Sober Interview