Katy Perry is a household name. At this point in her career, she’s had more infectious hit songs than you can count—and just as many controversies. Yet, though most people know she started her music career as a Christian singer, few know exactly what she was like before she became the candy-bedazzled accidental racist she is today.
But today we are blessed with this amazing “behind-the-scenes” footage of Katy Perry when she toured as a Christian singer/guitar player at the age of 17. A videographer named Jim Standridge recently uncovered some “uncensored raw” clips from her first tour and cobbled them together into this enlightening video.
So here’s what we’ve learned about 17 year old Katy Perry:
- She was a “pizza face.”
- She listened to Patty Griffin, jazz, and “a lot of Bjork.”
- She had to repeat the 9th grade.
- She was messy.
- “I’m pretty conceited.”
- Her stage fright sometimes made her hyperventilate.
- It was important to her that people laughed at her jokes.
- She wasn’t quite sure about the difference between the words “theory” and “story”
- She did her hair over and over and over and over again.
- She owned an epic floor-length denim jacket.
- She was “not a deep person.”
- She was really afraid of death.
- She had a complicated relationship with her parents (like most teens).
- She was a lot more interested in being a rock star than a pop star.
Now you know!