How do you turn down a marriage proposal without completely crushing someone’s feelings or, more importantly, giving up your OG-badass status? If you’re Charlotte Brontë, you say thanks but no thanks, then list a few reasons why you’d make a terrible wife for the poor sap.
One of the entries in the awesome-seeming book Hell Hath No Fury: Women’s Letters from the End of the Affair, this letter is “a masterwork of the it’s-not-you-it’s-me model.” It gets straight to the point — “my answer to your proposal must be a decided negative” — and simultaneously flatters the writer as someone whose character is “marked, ardent, and original.” (Unlike that of the girl to whom the rejected party should actually get hitched.) Forget breaking up via text or #TransformationTuesday — this is the way. (Brain Pickings)
- London’s Victoria and Albert Museum to put on a the largest-ever retrospective of works by fashion and society photographer Horst P. Horst. (Telegraph)
- What Lupita‘s “Most Beautiful” title means for “billions of women everywhere.” (The New Yorker)
- Two new Princess Diaries books, one involving a wedding
to Michael. (Heavy breathing.) (The Wall Street Journal)
- Airports from above: prettier and more interesting than it sounds. (Tumblr)
- You should watch a hamster chow down on some miniature burritos. Again. (YouTube)