This past Friday, the movie Austenland finally came out. The film follows the life of a woman named Jane (naturally) who is obsessed with Pride and Prejudice and travels to “Austenland,” a sort of theme park for Jane Austen fanatics, where she hopes to find true love. Keri Russel stars as the lead, alongside Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Seymore, and Bret McKenzie, and if you go see it, the costumes will almost certainly make you begin to imaginee ways to add a little 19th century flare to your wardrobe.
Unfortunately, though, it can be pretty tricky to mimic Elizabeth Bennet without seeming weird and costume-y. So we’ve gathered a few pieces that incorporate trends from Jane Austen’s era, but can still fit into a modern wardrobe. As long as you don’t get carried away with the ruffles, you should be okay.
1. Empire waist dress (Modcloth)
2. Straw hat: not a full-on bonnet, but close enough. (Rag and Bone)
3. White gloves (French Connection)
4. Ribbons (mytheresa)
5. Puffy sleeves (Net-a-Porter)
6. Ruffled shirt: if you’d rather look like Mr. Darcy than a Bennet girl. (StyleBop)