Milanese prosecutor Laura Pedio confirmed to WWD on Monday that the Italian government was pursuing legal action against the pair — though whether Dolce and Gabbana will try to negotiate and pay a smaller or fine or go to trial remains to be seen.
Dolce and Gabbana have previously denied the charge, calling what was in 2009 still only a claim an “absurd demand based on a completely abstract calculation.”
A Milan-based source said on Monday that “in many cases, this kind of accusation stems from the different interpretation of regulations. The state, which often doesn’t get to big-time tax evaders, tries to get to those who already pay their taxes, and ends up collecting one from the original 100 demanded.”
Pedio told WWD she didn’t know how long it would take to set a hearing and declined any further comment.
Prosecutor Confirms Dolce, Gabbana Indictment [WWD, Sub. Req'd.]