Well, that was fast. Christian Dior has officially suspended John Galliano‘s professional role at the company in light of Thursday’s arrest and allegations of assault and anti-Semitic remarks, WWD reports.
Dior president and chief executive officer Sidney Toledano released a brief statement Friday morning. According to WWD:
Sidney Toledano said the fashion house has a policy of zero tolerance regarding racism and anti-Semitism. The statement said the suspension would remain in force until the results of a police investigation.
Galliano was arrested briefly on Thursday night after witnesses say he verbally attacked a couple with anti-Semitic remarks before allegedly assaulting them. A spokesperson for the police told WWD they are investigating the incident, which will then be handed over to the Paris prosecutors office.
Galliano’s Dior show is scheduled for Friday, March 4th, while his eponymous label has a presentation date of Sunday, March 6th. There has been no update as to the whether either show will go on or be canceled.
Relatedly, one has to wonder how some of Galliano’s celebrity darlings will react. Earlier this week, Kate Moss revealed Galliano would be designing her wedding dress, while it has been largely assumed that Natalie Portman, the face of Dior’s Miss Cherie fragrance, would be wearing the brand to Sunday’s 83rd annual Academy Awards. Portman is Israeli.
Dior Suspends Galliano from Role as Couturier [WWD, Subscription Required.]
Galliano Arrested For Anti-Semetic Remarks, Alleged Assault [Styleite]