It was bound to happen: Kanye West went on the Twitter rampage to end all Twitter rampages. And it’s because fashion breaks his heart.
Late yesterday afternoon, Kanye tweeted a brief clarification about the fake @dwbykanye account. Late last night, however, he was anything but brief. Over the course of more than three hours, the rapper said so many things, many of them totally ridiculous! What started off as a fashion rant spiraled into a more general rant about changing the world through good design. Also, he loves emoticons!
We’ve collected all 84 tweets below, but here are the important takeaways:
• He’s a fashion spy! He worked undercover at Fendi for four months “to give ideas for the men’s collection”. He also snuck into Giuseppe Zanotti‘s factory.
• He makes attempts at self-awareness, noting that “some critics would joke I still don’t know anything” about fashion.
• Not everything he said was completely nuts. This tweet seemed to resonate with the Twitterverse: “Being a celebrity has afforded me many opportunities but boxed me in creatively.”
• He might be the creative director of the new Jetsons movie, which apparently is a film that will exist.
• He wants to teach summer school with Spike Jonze.
But most importantly, he’s starting a company called DONDA, named after his mom (who, as we learned last night, wore jeans and Cosby sweaters and fur). It will have “over 22 divisions” and will employ “architects, graphic designers, directors, musicians, producers, A&R reps, publicists, social media experts, app guys, managers, car designers, clothing designers, DJs, video game designers, publishers, tech guys, lawyers, bankers, nutritionists, doctors, scientists, and teachers”. Its goal will be to “simplify and aesthetically improve everything we hear, touch, taste and feel”.
It might involve a “7-screen experience”. One of the projects is called 2016 Olympics (it’s “semi-sci fi since 2016 is only 4 years away”). He also wants the company to design the MTV Awards. Is it just us, or does this sound exactly like Entertainment 720 from Parks & Recreation?! Not to mention Kanye is good friends with
Tom Haverford Aziz Ansari. Just putting that out there.
Anyway, Kanye ends this stream of consciousness with contact information (contactDONDA@gmail.com) and a George Bernard Shaw quote. Just read it all. Please.