Crop tops, like turbans, are not going anywhere any time soon. We’ll take them in denim, in porcelain-print lycra, in Calvin Klein navy, and in camo with sewn-in saddlebags. We’ll take them on men, and we may even adopt the weird offspring of a crop top and a football tee (but don’t hold us to that).
Lily Collins, just in case you haven’t also been photo-stalking her every move over the last few weeks, is quite the fan of crop tops. While others flirt with the trend, it’s quite possible that she’s physically incapable of getting dressed in anything else. Bouncing between capital cities to promote her new film
Eight Minute Abs The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, the exquisitely browed actress has been drawing covetous gazes from not her male co-stars but the global fashion set.
Let Lily show you how the many perfect ways to wear a crop top:
1. We know, we know – this is not technically a crop top. But exposing your lower back instead of your lower stomach is a great way to taste-test the trend. This was the beginning of Lily’s crop top affair, which has now blossomed into a beautiful romance, so you can see that it works.
2. Location, location, location. What better place to try out a bona fide crop top than Comic Con? If you’re a bit jittery, it’s a good idea to start wearing crop tops while you will be surrounded by people who are either dressed as Pokémon characters or who are too jazzed about the World of Warcraft movie trailer to notice.
5. Now things are getting serious. This is Lily looking lovely at an event to celebrate her Seventeen magazine cover. Notice how the belly button sits right between the bottom of the crop top and the band of the skirt – this has been attempted by few people since the actual ’90s, and is best left to the true crop top masters like Lily.
6. This is a sort of post-modern crop top, making great use of angles and negative space. It’s technically a dress from Cushnie et Ochs Resort 2014 collection, but in the context of Lily Collins, it’s always a crop top.
7. Proving once again that her suitcase was made using the same charm that expanded the Weasley family car interior in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, here is Lily in a voluminous Halston Heritage skirt and textured black crop top by Paper London.
Hopefully Lily has inspired you to live solely in crop tops through the end of summer and beyond. And if it’s the chill factor you fear, Rihanna can assist with that.
PHOTOS: Jennifer Lawrence and The Hunger Games Cast at Comic Con
Lily Collins Does Not Look Mortal at the Mortal Instruments Premiere
Get the Look: Lily Collins Perfect Red Lip at WonderCon