Oscar winner and real-life princess Lupita Nyong’o has been announced as the new face of Lancôme. The Mexican-born Kenyan actress will be the brand’s first black ambassador, joining an all-star cast of spokespeople including Julia Roberts, Kate Winslet, Penelope Cruz, and Lily Collins. The ads that will be released in September for an as-yet-unidentified product.
“I had to give a speech about beauty right before the Oscars,” Nyong’o told WWD, “and for me, beauty is a compassion for yourself and those around you. And I think that in focusing on that, the light inside illuminates the beauty outside. The idea that Lancôme now has a few actor ambassadors is significant because actors are not just faces, they are spirits that people enjoy and relate to more than in an aesthetic way. We have the privilege of standing for something other than just looks.” (WWD)
- Sterling Jewelers, the U.S.’ largest jewelry company, has been accused of widespread gender discrimination. 16 women have filed a class action suit against the giant of bling, which owns the Galleria of Jewelry and Kay Jewelers, alleging widespread pay and promotional discrimination, amongst other things. 13 of the 16 women say they were paid less than men with the same or lower qualifications, 13 say promotions were doled out to less qualified men, and six experienced sexual harassment, with some being subjected to all three. Luckily most of their stuff is pretty fug and too expensive, so you should probably be boycotting them anyway. (Think Progress)
- After building much tension on Instagram, Nicola Formichetti has unveiled his debut collection for Diesel in Venice yesterday. The former Mugler creative director (and stylist to Lady Gaga in her relevant years) described his inspiration for taking the brand back to its roots as “new wave kids, the early Nineties, the sexy kids with the tattoos and we the posh kids” while his new muse Brooke Candy took to the runway in lace-up boots and her signature finger waves. Though perhaps the most important part of this story is that Courtney Love has revealed she’d like to work with Diesel, as she revealed at the after party where she posed with Anna Dello Russo in a button-up shirt and pinstripe pants. Always keeping us interested. (Vogue UK)
- Going to Coachella? Make sure to hit/avoid the party H&M is hosting to celebrate kaftans and denim cut-offs, which will headliner Major Lazer and DJ Jesse Marco. (WWD)
- And if you haven’t already started fasting to fit your big fatty forehead into a headdress, you’re probably not following this terrible Coachella Diet correctly. (Well and Good)
- If you were wondering why the internet had more selfies than normal yesterday, it’s because Marc Jacobs is casting for his new campaign on Twitter.
- Grumpy Cat paid a visit to the Vogue headquarters yesterday, posing with noted cat lover Grace Coddington. Only one of them appeared to love it. (Instagram)
- Kate Moss wants Jennifer Lawrence to wear her new Topshop collection. Based on Lawrence’s penchant for tripping over, we’d suggest removing some of the fringing first. (InStyle)
- Here’s David Beckham in his tighty whiteys again. (Daily Mail)
- Forget cocktails, Target is now the happening place for first dates. According to Iggy Azalea, anyway. (USA Today)