Givenchy‘s Riccardo Tisci has been named GQ‘s Designer of the Year. As such, the Southern Italian designer is the subject of a lengthy profile in this month’s mag, which, if you remember, features a naked Rihanna on the cover.
The profile follows 38-year-old Tisci as he preps for his spring 2013 menswear show in June, highlighting his humble personality, and chronicling how he turned the once-stale house of Givenchy into a Kanye West, Beyoncé, and, well, everyone-approved label. But, sadly, there is no mention of a possible H&M collaboration.
Anyway, we’ve pulled out the five most fascinating things we learned about Tisci. Here ya go:
- He drinks warm carrot juice. Ew. Warm carrot juice.
- According to the mag, the brand is super popular with something known as the “streetwear” community, aka “young black people.” Right.
- While putting the finishing touches on the collection, Tisci locked himself in his Paris showroom all “Rapunzel-like” to do fittings. His assistants emailed the GQ writer: “Unfortunately, I hear the level of stress is high. Therefore, he stays locked in.”
- Even though he got Yeezy to wear a leather kilt on his “Watch The Throne” tour, Kanye refuses to answer any questions about it.
- The Rottweiler tee has become one of the most recognizable Givenchy pieces, and practically everyone has worn the $265 shirt. Tisci says he was inspired by a boy scout book, and explains:
“It’s not a violent picture. For me, it’s a sweet dog. It represents power and sweetness. A dog is much better than a human being. I think humans, in the society we live in today, are a little bit unfaithful. So many people are insecure about love. Dogs are the only creature that still has a heart and a brain and is still your best friend.”