Charlotte Rampling is an icon, this much is indisputable. This said, we’re not convinced our fellow millennials are familiar enough with the 68-year-old actress, who has just been named as the new face of Nars in advance of their 20th anniversary. According to brand execs, Rampling will appear in a “black-and-white portrait-style image,” shot by François Nars himself.
“She is a natural beauty that feels strong, yet relatable,” Nars told WWD. “Charlotte’s ability of transformation is unparalleled. Whether captured in pieces of artwork, through the lens of a magazine photographer or on film and the big screen, she had an amazing power to encompass a character. I remember Dirk Bogarde referencing Charlotte’s ‘fabled look’ because of the combination of her beauty and withering gaze. This is what makes her an endlessly watchable mystery.”
Rampling is an international woman of mystery no doubt, but to fully bask in what’s sure to be a memorable campaign, we think you should brush up on a few things about the actress who took the world by storm in the ’60s and ’70s.
1. Her Career Began as a Model
2. Her First On-Screen Appearance Was in Sex Comedy The Knack… and How to Get It
She played an uncredited water skier.
3. Her Breakout Role was in Georgy Girl (1966)
4.Her Most Iconic Role Was in The Night Porter (1974)
She played a concentration camp survivor who reunites with the Nazi guard who tortured her.
5. She Recorded a French-English Album Entitled Comme Une Femme in 2002
6. She Had a Re-Occurring Role on Dexter
7. She’s One of the Fifty Best-Dressed People Over 50, According to The Guardian
8. She’s Always Been Stylish… And Loved Suits
8. She Keeps It Real
“Cinema likes young flesh and we shouldn’t moan about that,” she told Radio Times.