Yesterday marked Clueless‘ 15 year anniversary. And in addition to Cher’s technologically savvy closet, it’s impossible to forget some of the costume choices in the film, and of course, that amazing quote about men’s 90’s fashion:
“So okay, I don’t want to be a traitor to my generation and all but I don’t get how guys dress today. I mean, come on, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair — ew — and cover it up with a backwards cap and like, we’re expected to swoon? I don’t think so.”
Reminiscing about the movie, and about Cher’s brilliant words of wisdom, got us thinking. With so many trends having come and gone throughout our life, what are the ones that we miss the most, and the ones we’re glad have never made a comeback?
When the ’80s ended, people praised the end of shoulder pads and hammer pants forever — both of which have made strong sartorial comebacks. Some say for better, other say for worse. We won’t argue with those two trends. Instead, here is our list of 5 trends we miss and 5 trends we’re keeping our fingers crossed remain in fashion’s graveyard forever.
1. Baby G Watches — They came in so many great translucent colors that we did not appreciate in our younger years, plus, you didn’t have to worry about them scratching or getting ruined. Those things could get run over by a car and still remain intact.
2. Tamagotchi Key Chains — There’s never been a single accessory as interactive and playful as the Tamagotchi key chain. And while we may have gotten slightly frustrated when our pet died on us, it very well may have been our first lesson on the importance of tending to one’s things.
3. Signature Hairstyles — How much easier would it be if we could walk into a hair salon and still be able to name a signature style? Give me The Rachel! Give me The Meg! Nowadays, if you walk in and name a celebrity other than Blake Lively — and let’s be honest, that’s just extensions — you’d probably get a blank stare. No one has a distinguishable cut anymore!
4. 80’s Eyeshadow — We’re talking bright-colored, up to the brow bone eye makeup, because after all, makeup should be dramatic and colorful!
5. The Penny Loafer — There really is no better way to celebrate fall then the perfect brown leather penny loafer (penny included). It’s dorky-chic at it’s finest!