As editors, we’re always in the process of trying to solve beauty conundrums and when our unruly tresses aren’t capitalizing on our time patience, we’ve got a personal vendetta against all of our bad skin habits. While we’ve stepped up our moisturizing, face-washing, and makeup removing game, we’re learning that there’s one vital measure we’ve not taken yet, and that’s drinking WAY more water.
Last week, the Daily Mail published an article in which author Sarah Smith, cataloged what happened when she started drinking the expert advised three litres of water a day. At first, that didn’t sound like a very colossal amount to us, and then we did the calculations of our own daily liquid diet and were simply appalled at the drought we were inflicting upon ourselves. According to Smith, one in five women drinks less than the recommended daily intake of water, this, despite that fact that every system and function in our body depends on water. But let’s forget about the internal benefits of flushing toxins our of our body for a second, what does it mean for our personal vanity? Well, while Smiths weekly diary — kept for 28 days — was testament enough of H20′s aesthetic powers, nothing made us more of a believer than the before and after images, below:
Now that you’re a believer (we’re going to go ahead and assume that you are), here are some important bits to know:
- Three litres of water is just over five pints
- You can expect to, ahem, urinate about twice as much
- ‘Moderate amounts of caffeine do not cause dehydration, so they do count towards your fluid intake’
- Water helps lubricate joints, so more water could equate to a new-found yoga passion.
- It’ll make you smarter! ** Metropolitan University and adviser to the Natural Hydration Council, says: ‘Our brain is 73 per cent water, so poor hydration can affect how it functions. Dehydration can reduce our ability to concentrate as well as our cognitive performance.’
Now, proceed to the Daily Mail to read Smith’s detailed account of her miraculous experience. We’d wager our next paycheck that your next move will be a trip to the grocery store to buy as many gallons of water as you can carry. We’re about to stock the Styleite fridge…
Wearing Makeup Means You Are Lying to Men
Armpit Hair: Fashionable, Feminist or Just a Bit Gross?
NYFW: 8 Stunning Beauty Looks to Copy This Weekend
4 Beauty Department Tutorials Lauren Conrad Could Use on Her Big Day