If we were in charge of Met Gala themes, this year’s would be “Pirates, Pico de Gallo, and Paleontology: Really Impossible Conversations.” The committee rejected our proposal, however — they clearly don’t want their guests to have any fun or enjoy guacamole served out of those genius sombreros from Despicable Me 2 — so we’re back to sending not-so-subliminal messages via stories.
Departure, as you may have guessed, is the motif du jour. Earlier, we brought you the inspirational tales of five courageous women who escaped oppressive regimes and went on to lead consulting firms and bakeries free of gluten, refined sugar, wheat, soy, dairy, and eggs. Now, we turn your attention to these videos of designers taking their final final bows. At least five are heartbreaking.
Some of the featured are switching labels. Some are stepping down after 16, 22, 45 years. Some had been enduring heavy criticism and calls for their dismissals. Others might not have known that show would be their last.
Here, we remember their moments of glory — and all that came before.
1. Karl Lagerfeld for Chloé Fall 1997
2. Phoebe Philo for Chloé Spring 2006
3. Jil Sander Spring 2014
4. Nicolas Ghesquière for Balenciaga Spring 2013
5. Stefano Pilati for Yves Saint Laurent
6. Christian Lacroix Fall 2009 Couture
7. John Galliano Fall 2011 Men
8. Alexander McQueen Spring 2010
9. Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton Spring 2014
10. Valentino Spring 2008 Couture