We’re just as crazy about the Lanvin Hearts H&M as the next fashion-obsessed blog, but when Saturday’s launch came around, we just couldn’t get ourselves to brave the madness. However, there sure were plenty of other people who simply could not be stopped by the fear of riots, hair-pulling and the like. And we have a recap of all the craziness just for you!
• Alber Elbaz made a surprise appearance at the H&M flagship on Madison. He told WWD: “We stayed in New York one more night so we could see this. I don’t dare go in. I can’t believe it. I was sure there would be no one. I was a bit panicked. This is a once in a lifetime experience.” And he wore a track jacket! He’s the cutest.
• H&M had tons of rules in place, so as to minimize the chaos. Let’s throw some numbers at you: 16 groups of 20 people were allowed to browse the Lanvin women’s selection for 15 minutes, and could only buy two pieces per style. (There were no rules re: the men’s merch.)
• There was not in fact a stabbing at the Herald Square H&M. That was just a nasty little Twitter hoax — a twoax, if you will.
• Some guy spent $3000 on stuff for his pregnant wife. Also, shoppers at the Beverly Center in LA acted like squatters, starting at 9:30 p.m. Friday night: “Prohibited by the Beverly Center to stay in the sheltered mall overnight, those who came late Friday or in the early Saturday morning hours mostly huddled in the elevator banks flanking the outside of the mall, at Macy’s valet parking or under what awnings they could find.”
• The president of H&M North America even lended a hand on the floor. And he says the shoes and jewelry are all sold out — and everything else will probably be gone by tomorrow.
So why didn’t we go? A Racked contributor got to the 5th Avenue store at 7 a.m., and was assigned a shopping time of 11:40. She left the store before 10, and we would have too. Here’s the thing: Target’s diffusion collections can be bought online, and they’re sold in way more than 24 stores. Maybe the scarcity of the H&M collaborations is what makes them so covetable, but it also makes them incredibly frustrating.
Did you make it to H&M this weekend? Tell us about your experience in the comments!
this is some kind of spaceship or something.